Friday 18 April 2014

Jerusalem

Jerusalem

(for Racheal) 
Send me the heroes who have 
lost all their gold
Who knelt to false angels who 
purchased their souls
The ones who have sold their clothes
for the cloth
The ones who melt devils then
wail their loss

And I will trade a million days
for their one thousand nights
Perhaps the dark surrounding them
will make them seek the light 

We'll dance on Rocks between the mounts until we stench the flow 
Of corpses filling heavens they were never meant to know

I offer you these million days
to save one thousand nights
The dark will sooth their wounds
and sleep will take the fight

Even as the harbor burns the ships before the glow
We will sing in places where only rabbis go
and sing them songs 
of sunny days lost and
far ago
Before the day extended to son above and also
son below 

Promise me your thousand nights to my one million days
A thousand nights of peace
is worth double what I pay

As Jesus and Mohammed pray in caves throughout the land
I'll have them up and dancing with nails in their hands
Forgotten woes still sting the wounds
that wail on the wall
Allahakbar cries the morning but no one heeds
the call

Make to me the fair exchange but remember in the light
That days are always shorter and dimmer than the night

And hard the wine and blood will flow
until a dozen ships ago 

A young girl died and closed her eyes and missed her falling star

Still Helen could not want for more; she did not start nor end the war

She died so many years ago

I will pay a million days for her one thousand nights
A thousand nights of love are worth 
a million days of strife

And tell her gently

do not come again
The war and the Eternal City will not end
......
Jerusalem must await

A race of better men

No comments:

Post a Comment